Thursday, December 20, 2012

ACC - "The Mystery of the Missed Connection" article - January-February 2013


Many months ago, I was contacted by a writer, Daisy Yuhas, from Scientific American Mind magazine who was inquiring about connecting with an adult who has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum, who would be interested in being interviewed by her for an article about ACC in their magazine. After carefully checking her credentials and exploring their magazine further, I sent out Daisy's request to the ACC Adults yahoo e-mail support group and was so excited to learn that there was an interest from not only one adult who has ACC (but from SEVERAL adults) who wanted to be interviewed for the article.

In our correspondence between then and now, it was revealed that Daisy hoped to be able to not only write an article about one adult, who has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum, in the magazine but to also include a follow-up to the article where she could include several more stories about other adults with ACC (who she interviewed).

This morning I received an e-mail from Daisy Yuhas who informed me that the ACC article is finished and it will appear in the January/February 2013 issue of Scientific American Mind. The additional stories of adults with ACC was published today, December 20, 2012, and appears in their Scientific American Blog.

I am including Daisy's e-mail below, so you can read it for yourself:

"Dear Sandie,

I hope that you're doing well! I just wanted to share that the agenesis of the corpus callosum feature will appear in the January-February 2013 issue of Scientific American Mind (you can find a preview with a paragraph or two online—the issue will hit newsstands in the new year). In addition, Scienitfic American has run a blog post that shares a few additional stories. I realize I can't possibly do justice to the full range of experiences shared— but I want to thank you again for your help in putting me in touch with others who could share their stories. I truly believe that readers will find strength in reading these experiences.

All the best and very happy holidays,

-Daisy"

This is incredibly exciting news and, thanks to each one of the adults who have ACC who shared their stories (and who revealed personal insights about living life with Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum), as well as the people at Scientific American Mind, there is now an even greater awareness about ACC, which brings us one step further in helping other adults and children in the world who have this congenital brain anomaly.

I know that (as a mom myself of a child with Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum) I definitely plan to buy a copy of the January/February 2013 Scientific American Mind magazine for The Mystery of the Missed Connection article.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for my English.. I wonder if it came out this magazine and if possible get the item online? I am the mother of a baby with ACC and am very interested this article. Thank you. Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tania,

    Thank you for your comment. In repy to your question: Yes, the magazine with the featured article about Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum did come out. It appeared in the January edition and was available for purchase at news stands. You may not easily find the print copy of the January/February magazine on news stands now because it is old (it is a past issue) and their latest March edition is now appearing at news stands.

    However, you can still purchase a single issue subscription of the January/February online magazine (for online download straight to your computer) by going to the link below. It will allow you to purchase the single January/February past issue (with the ACC story) and read/view it on your computer.

    http://www.sciamdigital.com/index.cfm?fa=Products.ViewIssue&ISSUEID_CHAR=AF1D1893-237D-9F22-E8A4E90A91AA7783

    I hope that you and your baby are doing very well.

    If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

    Sandie
    E-mail: hope@aracnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the answer, I found this site today and I am happy to finally have a place to find topics related to ACC .. I love it!!!
    Hugs..

    Tania tanymarcela@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tania, Thank you for your very kind note. I am so glad to know that you find the information here about ACC valuable. I am so very thankful to everyone who contributes.

    ~hugs~

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVED participating, in a small way in this article. To be honest, I felt some resolution, and recompense and justification in light of my family's harsh treatment and our estrangement.

    It is my hope we can educate the larger public about ACC, and increase research. We are such a "small population" disorder that we don't get much research attention.

    I have several scanned (and hard) copies of the article and the online edition of SciAmerican Mind at http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/12/20/patients-reflect-on-life-with-a-common-brain-malformation/
    Which gave some space for those of us who participated in the article to talk a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

I am very interested in reading your comments and
look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.